CJRS closure to new entrants
The Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme (CJRS) is open to all UK employers to access support to continue paying part of their employees’ salary for those employees that would otherwise have been laid off during this crisis.
The CJRS will close to new entrants on 30 June 2020. From that date onwards, employers will only be able to furlough employees that had previously been furloughed for a full three-week period prior to 30 June.
The following HMRC guidance is useful for those involved in payroll processing:
- The final date employers can furlough staff for the first time is 10 June 2020. Employers will have until 31st July to make any claims in respect of the period to 30 June.
- From 1 July the scheme will only be available to employers that have previously used the scheme in respect of employees they have previously furloughed.
- From 1 July, claim periods will no longer be able to overlap months, employers who previously submitted claims with periods that overlapped calendar months will no longer be able to do this going forward. This is necessary to reflect the forthcoming changes to the scheme.
- The number of employees an employer can claim for in any claim period cannot exceed the maximum number they have claimed for under any previous claim period.
- Employers can continue to make claims in anticipation of an imminent payroll run, at the point payroll is run or after payroll has been run.
- Employers will be able to make their first claim under the new scheme from 1 July.
- This scheme will be closed down on 31 October 2020.
For more information, Book a Free Consultation